Sunday, August 26, 2007

Stories Need To Be Told

They asked how it was
I came to express those times.
I simply lived them then
now made them into rhyme.

Some say they are poetic
others think them but prose.
Me? I don't know nor care
part of me I refuse to close.

You see, I spent too many years
living to please those who I couldn't.
Many wanted more than I could give
to others I just wouldn't.

I have stories needing to be told
tales which help make me who I am.
After years and years of mockery
some treat the facts like Spam.

From when I was first able to feel
my skin curled and itched.
Something was always amiss
emotions rose to a fever pitch.

I've got to tell it. It has to come out
Much of what I was taught were lies.
Facing the realities was rough
often bringing tears to my eyes.

I rebelled and fought back
did every positive thing I could.
Jumped through all the hoops
least the ones I thought I should.

My rebellion made me stronger
opened my eyes to the darkness there.
I found people to be a mixed bag
some painful others tried to be fair.

The stage was already set for me
I stood right in the center of it.
Voice raised and arms up high
my rebellion wouldn't quit.

When they clapped and clapped
I refused to leave the mark
They yelled and yelled more
till it sounded like a bark.

No, I would not give in
kept on with the show
Had to make sure my pain
was there for all to know.

Never will forget a question
it haunts me still today.
"What is it you want from us"
are the words I hear them say.

Like a rag doll hanging
the words wilt in my soul
Is it so hard for them to see
I don't think I'm being bold.

I want the same as you
no more yet, no less.
Just treat me with respect
you know equality is the best.

Del Cano 2007 August

2 comments:

Melinda said...

very nice Spence!

Delcano said...

Thank you. I need to get out more. Missing too much.

Spencer