Friday, May 18, 2007

Saturday Night Fish Fry

When I realized the number of fish
I had caught then stashed in bags
I hadn't noticed my clothes deteriorating
seemed to be turning into rags.

Been so busy baiting hooks
and catching so many fish.
Didn't take time to think
this would make a hellava dish.

Mid afternoon was coming on fast
thoughts of cleaning those not too good.
so I gave a call to a friend near home
someone who lived in my neighborhood.

Told her the problem, she laughed
saying I was the apple of her eye.
Told me not to worry at all
we'll have a Saturday night fish fry.

I gave it not a thought more
packed my gear and drove home.
The idea of cleaning all those fish
simply made my tired soul to moan.

Pulled in the yard to a wild sight
barely got out greetings, "hi yaw'll"
They were all smiling saying can't wait
we bout to have us a ball.

Tables laid out with knives
fish fryers ready with grease hot.
They crowded round the van
to see all the fish I got.

Before I knew it the commotion went
scales flying with filet knifes at work.
Hands readying the fresh fish
as I watched with a sly smirk.

Didn't take long for the eating to start
someone handing me a plate saying eat.
Crunching on that fish, hmmm good
taste just could not be beat.

Music started to attract others
some showed up with more food.
My yard, like a small park
filled with the neighborhood brood.

Folks laughing and eating up a storm
talking bout all that fish they cooked.
Toasting me for the catches of the day
cameras snapping for picture book.

Darkness fell on us before we knew
yard starting looking like a pig sty.
But we all had one real ball
at Spencer's Saturday night fish fry.

Del Cano 2007 May

No comments: